History
  • In 1954, Robert R. Thomas and Sam Hunter formed the Hunter Ready Mixed Concrete Company. A batch plant consisting of two aggregate bins and a bucket elevator was erected on a 100’x200’ lot adjacent to the railroad. Cement was purchased in bags from Penn Dixie Cement Company. The only delivery vehicle was one truck with a 3 ½ yard Rex mixer. The company’s first order was 100 yards to Brown Brothers Construction Company for pavement for the Texaco Station at the corner of 4th Street and Cedar Avenue. The price was $14.75 per yard.
  • In 1956, the company in negotiations with Harbert Construction Company and Kansas City Bridge reached an agreement to furnish the concrete for the bridge over the Tennessee River at Stevenson, Alabama. A ¾ yard Lorain Crane was purchased and used to move the plant, unload barges of sand and gravel and to load the bins. Two other trucks were purchased. The plant was erected on the north side of the river and the land piers on that side were poured. The plant was then moved to the south side of the river and an approach bridge and the river piers were poured. Water was pumped from the river and a fork lift was used to lift the bags of cement to truck height. The foundation pours for the two river piers were approximately 800 yards each and required 5600 bags of cement. Each pour took about 8 hours. Cement was delivered to Stevenson by rail, unloaded by hand and hauled to the site by crossing the river on the Stevenson Ferry.
  • Upon completion of the Stevenson Bridge, the bins were moved back to South Pittsburg. A belt conveyor built by the South Pittsburg Machine and Welding Shop was erected to load the bins and a new set of aggregate and cement bins were erected. A ground storage cement silo and bucket elevator was installed and bulk cement replaced the use of bags.
  • In 1958, Sam Hunter sold his stock in the company to Mr. Thomas.
  • In 1959, the company purchased a used block plant from Gray’s Concrete Company in Florence, Alabama. Blocks were produced from limestone, sand and cement. The blocks were unloaded from the machine and cubed by hand. Peak production was 4000 eight inch units per day.

history-truck

  • In 1963, two B-81 Mack diesel trucks and two Autocar diesel trucks equipped with 9 yard mixers were purchased. These were some of the first trucks of this size used by the ready mixed industry in Tennessee. Soon afterwards, the company was given the contract to furnish concrete for two highway bridges and a railroad bridge over Interstate 24 at the junction of Highway 64. Larger trucks and more efficient plants kept prices constant in spite of continually rising wages and material costs. The original concrete price of $14.75 remained unchanged until the fall of 1969.
  • As the company grew, ready mixed concrete plants were built in Dunlap and Cedar Grove (outside of Jasper), Tennessee, and in Scottsboro, Alabama. The company name was then changed to Sequatchie Concrete Service, Inc.
  • In 1972, a new automated block plant was built at South Pittsburg. Production was rated at 1200 eight inch units per hour.
  • In 1979, construction began on a large automated block plant in Madison, Alabama. The plant was completed in 1980 and produces 2460 eight inch units per hour.
  • In 1982, the T. L. Herbert Block and Concrete plant in Shelbyville, Tennessee was purchased and in 1984 the company acquired Athens Block Company in Athens, Tennessee.
  • In 1984 the Cowan Cement plant was purchased.
  • In 1987, the company erected a sand plant at the abandoned Sewanee Silica site. Production was rated at 1200 tons of masonry and concrete sand per day.
  • In 1994, Columbia Concrete in Columbia, Tennessee and Southern Cast Stone in Knoxville, Tennessee were acquired.
  • In 1995, the Hamilton Concrete block plants were purchased in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
  • In 2001, a new ready mixed plant was built in Trenton, Georgia.
  • In 2002, the Acme Block Company was purchased in Harriman, Tennessee.
  • In 2003, Bradley Block in Cleveland, Tennessee and Dayton Concrete in Dayton, Tennessee were acquired.
  • In 2004, the Hammer Johnson Supply ready mixed plant was purchased and moved to the site of our exiting block plant in Athens, TN.
  • In 2005, a new ready mixed plant was built in Crossville, Tennessee.
  • In 2007, the Angel Brothers Redi-Mix was purchased in Pikeville, Tennessee and a new ready mixed plant was constructed in Cookeville, Tennessee.
  • In 2008, a new ready mixed plant was built next to the existing block plant in Knoxville, Tennessee.
  • In 2009, a new ready mixed plant was built next to the existing central mix plant on Cromwell Road in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
  • In 2014, Sherman Industries’ Huntsville Alabama Operation was acquired.  This included ready mixed plants in Decatur, Huntsville, and Madison and a block plant in Madison.